Friday, January 19, 2018

Blog 2: Reading Rites and Artist Process

St. Fin Barre's Cathedral
Taken by Esther Woo

Reading Rites

Out of all the required materials, the most striking one in my opinion was Sex in a Cold Climate. This documentary included interviews of women who spent time in Magdalene Laundries. To prevent the sin of premarital sex, these women were sent off to these asylums. The women were oppressed and essentially confined for being a pretty woman. By hearing these narratives about how these women were treated in the asylums by the nuns was shocking. While in Cork, we identified the location of one of the Magdalene laundries which really brought the documentary to life. The fact that the site closed around 1980 made it more relatable because it happened recently.

Upon critical reflection, I was able to think about the women placed in the asylums. Throughout history, women were and continue to be oppressed by the patriarchal society. No matter how hard women try in the world from earning voting rights to working executive positions, women often times try to hide their gender. This shame associated with women continues to progress as women are shamed for breast feeding in public of having a menstrual cycle. These simple biological processes are beautiful and should be embraced since that is how procreation occurs. However, the world demeans the concept of womanhood.

Today, I was grabbing a cup of coffee after brainstorming with Ó Bhéal at the Village Hall. A man walked in and began talking to the barista. He asks the barista who the owner of the business is and demanded to talk to him. He then proceeds to "mansplain" football to her. He repeatedly explains football since he believes the barista doesn’t understand sports because she is a woman. After this man leaves, we had a discussion about how the culture of women in Ireland is. The barista continued to talk about how women continue to struggle to gain basic rights including the right to control what happens to their body. 

How do you feel about the 8th amendment in Ireland? How will we continue to fight for equality? Will there ever be a day where men and women are truly equal?

Artist Process

1. The required materials, in particular Kathy D’Arcy’s works, related to her workshop. The idea of writing poetry and including social political issues such as women’s rights in Ireland was interest.
2. This class has informed my artistic process by teaching me about other ways to express myself artistically through writing.
3. My vulnerabilities include not feeling comfortable to share.
4. I am addressing my vulnerabilities by attempting to be more open and share my work with others.
5. My project is going to be a showcase of photographs that include commentary. It will show the discrepancies displayed in the education system worldwide.
6. My goals for this project include texts and images to evoke a discussion globally. I want people to question the idea of everyone being able to receive an education as a human right.
7. I will accomplish these goals by interviewing and talking to many people throughout Cork. I need support in finding a way to display it in the final showcase.
8. I will get help from my peers.

No comments:

Post a Comment