Wednesday, January 31, 2018

Blog 7: Reflection on the Showcase


Flyer by Tegan Stewart

Reflection on the Showcase


For my showcase, I concentrated on education. I wanted to show how religion and the living environment influences the education you receive. By taking photos of churches and nature, I incorporated thought provoking questions to allow the audience to reflect on their experiences.

Through this showcase, I learned that I had to find deeper meanings into my photographs. Not only did they have to capture a moment, but I had to find a story behind the photograph. Finding that deeper meaning took time, but I have to say my favorite piece was of St. Fin Barre's Ccathedral placed behind bars.

I integrated the opportunity for dialogue by incorporating excerpts from the interviews along with questions. These questions were posed in a way for the audience to think about their childhood and the education that they received.

I hope that the audience saw how religion restricts the education system in Ireland. Since about 80% of the funding for primary schools come from churches, they have influence and say over what is taught in the schools. I know my audience became aware since they were shown visuals along with questions to start the dialogue.

Through this process, I grew as an artist by learning how to be flexible and improvise. I had to change my showcase due to photography constraints. Since I was unable to photograph children and schools, I had to find another way to display the education system.

I collaborated with Tatiana. She wrote an erasure using the Universal Declaration of Human Rights excerpt about education. I also collaborated with Natalie. She helped me brainstorm showcase ideas and dissected photos to find deeper meanings. In addition, Franchesca helped with my education interview that I incorporated into my showcase.

If I were to change my project, I would edit my photographs more but due to time constraints, I didn’t. Some aspects that surprised me included how many photographs I took during my trip. In addition, I was worried about how the photographs would be projected on the projector screen but the resolution turned out pretty well.

Overall, this showcase taught me a lot about Ireland. I learned about Direct Provision, Repeal the 8th and numerous other issues that are important to Ireland. I enjoyed the opportunity to display my works in the Long Valley and I look forward to continuing my passion in photography.
Taken by Ericka






No comments:

Post a Comment